On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Michael McKnight
<michael_mcknigh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> #split -b8100m ./mypictures.zfssnap  mypictures.zfssnap.split.
> But when I compare the checksum of the original snapshot to that of the
> rejoined snapshot, I get a different result:
>
> #cksum 2008.12.31-2358--pictures.zfssnap
> 308335278   57499302592   mypictures.zfssnap
> #cksum testjoin
> 278036498   57499302592   testjoin

> The question I have is, what can I do?  My guess is that there is some
> ascii/binary conversion issue that the "split" and "cat" commands are
> introducing into the restored file, but I'm at a loss as to exactly what is
> happening and how to get around it.

Here's a workaround : try using something that can split-merge
reliably. 7z should work, and it's already included on opensolaris.

Something like

7z a -v8100m -ttar mypictures.zfssnap.7z mypictures.zfssnap

should be very fast (using no compression), while

7z a -v8100m mypictures.zfssnap.7z mypictures.zfssnap

should save a lot of space using the default 7z compression algorithm.

Regards,

Fajar