> on a UFS ore reiserfs such errors could be corrected.

I think some of these people are assuming your hard drive is broken.  I'm not
sure what you're assuming, but if the hard drive is broken, I don't think ANY
file system can do anything about that.

At best, if the disk was in a RAID 5 array, and the other disks worked, then
the parity from the working disks could correct the broken data on the broken
drive... but you only have a single disk, not a mirror or a raid 5, so this fix
can't be done...

I think this might be a case of zfs reporting errors that other file systems
don't notice.  Your hard drive might have been broken for months without you
knowing it until now.  In that case the errors aren't the fault of zfs.  It is
the fault of the broken drive, and the fault of the other file systems for not
knowing when data is corrupted.  See what I mean?