On Wed, February 11, 2009 10:49, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> This all-or-nothing behavior of ZFS pools is kinda scary.  Turns out I'd
>> rather have 99% of my data than 0% -- who knew?  :-)  I'd much rather
>> have
>> 100.00% than either of course, and I'm running ZFS with mirroring, and
>> doing regular backups, because of that.
>
> It seems to me that this level of terror is getting out of hand.  I am
> glad to see that you made it to work today since statistics show that
> you might have gotten into a deadly automobile accident on the way to
> the office and would no longer care about your data.  In fact, quite a
> lot of people get in serious automobile accidents yet we rarely hear
> such levels of terror regarding taking a drive in an automobile.
>
> Most people are far more afraid of taking a plane flight than taking a
> drive in their car, even though taking a drive in their car is far
> more risky.
>
> It is best to put risks in perspective.  People are notoriously poor
> at evaluating risks and paranoia is often the result.

All true (and I'm certainly glad I made it to work myself; I did drive,
which is one of the most dangerous things most people do).

I think you're overstating my terror level, though; I'd say I'm at yellow;
not even orange.

I've spent $2000 on hardware and, by now, hundreds of hours of my time
trying to get and keep a ZFS-based home NAS working.  Because it's the
only affordable modern practice, my backups are on external drives (USB
drives because that's "the" standard for consumer external drives, they
were much cheaper when I bought them than any that supported Firewire at
the 1TB size).  So hearing how easy it is to muck up a ZFS pool on USB is
leading me, again, to doubt this entire enterprise.  Am I really better
off than I would be with an Infrant Ready NAS, or a Drobo?  I'm certainly
far behind financially and with my time.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info