On Feb 17, 2009, at 17:56, Joe S wrote:

Does that sound like a viable backup solution?

It has been explicitly stated numerous times that the output of 'zfs send' has no guarantees and it is undocumented. From zfs(1M):

The format of the [zfs send] stream is evolving. No backwards compatibility is guaranteed. You may not be able to receive your streams on future versions of ZFS.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/zfs-1m

If you want to do back ups of your file system use a documented utility (tar, cpio, pax, zip, etc.).

Then, I was thinking about storing those backups on S3.

* Has anyone tried this?
* Are there any problems I may run into?
* Are there better ways backup my zfs pool without purchasing
expensive software?

The best way would probably to purchase an external drive and send updates to it, then export the drive, and take it offsite. Rotate between two drivers. Personally I recommend using FireWire whenever possible.

There are various utilities for using S3 as a backup service, but I'm not sure this is the proper forum:

http://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+s3+backups