But, if mypool was a concatenation, things would get written onto the c0t1d0
first, and if any one of the subsequent disks were to fail, I should be able to
recover everything off of mypool, as long as I have not filled up c0t1d0, since
things were written sequentially, rather than across all disks like striping.

I think the circumstances where this would work are very unlikely, and I don't know that ZFS gives you any guarantee that it's going to write to the front of a given device and then work back from there.... does it? Even if it did, what about if the pool filled up, and then emptied out again while you weren't looking. Some data might be left in the last device. Neither simple concat or stripe have any resilience to disk failure, you must use mirrors or raidz to achieve that.

Is my understanding correct, or am I totally off the wall here?

And, if I AM correct, how do you create a concatenated zpool?

You can't.
ZFS dynamically stripes across top-level vdevs. Whichever order you add them into the pool, they will be effectively treated as a stripe.

regards,
--justin