On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Lars-Gunnar Persson <
lars-gunnar.pers...@nersc.no> wrote:

> How about this configuration?
>
> On the Nexsan SATABeast, add all disk to one RAID 5 or 6 group. Then on the
> Nexsan define several smaller volumes and then add those volumes to a
> raidz2/raidz zpool?
>
> Could that be an useful configuration? Maybe I'll loose too much space with
> "double" raid 5 or 6 configuration? What about performance?

Bad idea.   The probability of a double disk failure in this scenario is
relatively high (48 disks, one/two parity drive), and when you do so, you'll
lose ALL data.

I don't quite follow the reasoning behind putting software raid on top of
your hardware raid either.  Either you trust you have a solid raid-solution
on the back end or you don't.  If you don't sell it and buy something else.
 If you do, put the zfs filesystem directly on top without software raid and
be done with it.

--Tim