howard chen wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Darren J Moffat
<darr...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
1. Is this setup suitable for mission critical use now?
Yes, why wouldn't it be ?

Because I just wonder why some other people are using zfs/fuse on Linux, e.g.
http://www.drwetter.org/blog/zfs_under_linux.en.html
http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE

ZFS/fuse on Linux gives you something very different to exporting ZFS ZVOLs over iSCSI. They solve completely different problems.

As for why people play with zfs/fuse on Linux rather than running ZFS on OpenSolaris - well because they can, or because their religion means they want to use Linux or just to test zfs/fuse. Same as why people play with ZFS on FreeBSD or MacOS X. Because they can and for what ever reasons they have they want to use ZFS and an OS other than OpenSolaris.

None of that implies that sharing ZVOLs over iSCSI isn't stable.

Also seems hard to find a complete tutorial on accessing ZFS from
Linux using ISCSI. This should be attractive, isn't?

On the OpenSolaris side:

Create your pool:

# zpool create tank <your list of disks and raid config goes here>

Turn on the iSCSI service

# svcadm enable iscsitgtd
[ or if you are on a release with COMSTART make that iscsi/target ]

Create the ZVOL for the iSCSI lun and share it out:

# zfs create -V 10g -o shareiscsi=on tank/lun1

If you want more control over the sharing options see iscsitadm(1M)

That is all that has to be done on the OpenSolaris side to make a 10g lun available over iSCSI. The rest of it is all how Linux sets up its iSCSI client side which I don't know but I know on Solaris it is very easy using iscsiadm(1M).

--
Darren J Moffat