So much for an easy-to-use CLI :-O
How about feeding in a file containing names instead (qv fmthard -s)?

Not terribly script-friendly; I suffered that sort of thing with zonecfg and zoneadm (create a controlfile and squirt it into another command) and deemed it a horrible hack. They are still too broken for me to face using in their raw state except on special occasions...

Same reason I never use fgrep, it's just not the true Unix way.

If it *was* the true Unix way, you would never have written something like:

        rm `cat files-to-delete.txt`

...or anything else in backticks in your life; nor would you ever have used xargs... :-)

        -a