On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Michael Shadle <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I currently have a 7x1.5tb raidz1.
>
> I want to add "phase 2" which is another 7x1.5tb raidz1
>
> Can I add the second phase to the first phase and basically have two
> raid5's striped (in raid terms?)

Yes, that's how it's done.

> Yes, I probably should upgrade the zpool format too. Currently running
> snv_104. Also should upgrade to 110.
>
> If that is possible, would anyone happen to have the simple command
> lines to do it quick? I assume I'd be creating another raidz1 and then
> somehow growing the "tank" zpool?

zpool add tank raidz1 disk_1 disk_2 disk_3 ...

(The syntax is just like creating a pool, only with add instead of create.)

> Does this make sense, or is this stupid from a performance
> perspective? Should I just have two separate zpools? Ideally I would
> like to have one massive data storage target.

It makes perfect sense. My thumpers have a number of raidz vdevs combined
into a single pool. Your performance scales with the number of vdevs, and
its better to combine them into a single pool as you combine the performance.
Generally, unless you want different behaviour from different pools, it's easier
to combine them.

--
-Peter Tribble