I rsynced an 11gb pile of data from a remote linux machine to a zfs
filesystem with compression turned on.

The data appears to have grown in size rather than been compressed.

Many, even most of the files are formats that are already compressed,
such as mpg jpg avi and several others.  But also many text files
(*.html) are in there.  So didn't expect much compression but also
didn't expect the size to grow.

I realize these are different filesystems that may report
differently.  Reiserfs on the linux machine and zfs on osol.

in bytes:

 Osol:11542196307
linux:11525114469