I've run into this too... I believe the issue is that the block
size/allocation unit size in ZFS is much larger than the default size
on older filesystems (ufs, ext2, ext3).

The result is that if you have lots of small files smaller than the
block size, they take up more total space on the filesystem because
they occupy at least the block size amount.

See the 'recordsize' ZFS filesystem property, though re-reading the
man pages, I'm not 100% sure that tuning this property will have the
intended effect.

BP