On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:25:35PM -0700, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
> <quote case materials>
> These new properties are not printed by "zfs get all", since that could
> generate a huge amount of output, which would not be very well
> organized.  The new "zfs userspace" subcommand should be used instead.

Ah, I missed that.

> >>Has there been any thought to using a UID resolution mechanism similar
> >>to that used by ps?  That is, if "zfs get ... <dataset>" is run in the
> >>global zone and the dataset is deleted to a non-global zone, display
> >>the UID rather than a possibly mistaken username.
> >
> >That seems like a good idea to me.  You should send that comment to the
> >ARC case record (send an e-mail to psarc-...@sun.com with
> >"PSARC/2009/204" somewhere in the Subject: header).
>
> Indeed, that might be a good idea.  I wasn't aware of that convention.
> Though note that this only applies to "zfs userspace" -- we would simply
> say that if the fs is zoned, that implies the -n option.  We could also
> disallow them from doing "zfs get useru...@name pool/zoned/fs", just make
> it an error to prevent them from seeing something other than what they
> intended.

I don't see why the g-z admin should not get this data.  Having to
zlogin to get it seems wrong to me.  Though, obviously, you'd have to
zlogin to get zone-local _names_ -- one might want extended getXbyYs to
do ID->zone-local name resolution in the g-z, though one then worries
about ngz admins attacking the g-z admin through user/group names that
are not properly encoded for the g-z admin's locale... (so we're likely
to never do this).

Nico