On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:16:42PM -0700, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
> Robert Milkowski wrote:
> >Hello Matthew,
> >
> >Excellent news.
> >
> >Wouldn't it be better if logical disk usage would be accounted and not
> >physical - I mean when compression is enabled should quota be
> >accounted based by a logical file size or physical as in du?
> ]
> The compressed space *is* the amount of space charged, same as struct
> stat's st_blocks and du(1) (and the "referenced" property, and the "used"
> property, etc).

I think sysadmins will generally care more about physical space
consumption than uncompressed space consumption.

>                  I don't think that we ever report the uncompressed size;
> it's only available indirectly by multiplying by the "compressratio"
> property.

But compressratio is a dataset-wide property -- it seems wrong to assume
that it will be the same for each user/group's data inside a given
dataset.  A fast way to obtain the actual uncompressed data size might
be useful, but I also think it should not be a priority if indeed
sysadmins care [or ought to care!] more about physical space consumption
than uncompressed space consumption.

Nico