Hi Francois,

I use ZFS with Squid proxies here at MIT.  (MIT New Zealand that is ;))

My basic set up is like so.

- 2 x Sun SPARC v240's dual CPU's with 2 x 36 GB boot disks and 2 x 73 GB cache disks. Each machine has 4GB RAM.
- Each has a copy of squid,  Squidguard  and an apache server.
- Apache server, serves .pac files for client machines and each .pac file binds you to that proxy. - Clients request a .pac from round robin DNS "proxy.manukau.ac.nz" which then gives you the real
system name of one of these two proxies.

Boot disks are mirrored using disksuite and cache and log file systems are ZFS. My cache pool is just a mirrored pool which is then split into three file systems. Cache volume is restricted to 30 GB in squid config. Max cache object size
is 2MB. Internet bandwidth available to these machines is ~15Mbit/s.

[r...@xxxxx /]#> zpool status
 pool: proxpool
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

       NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       proxpool    ONLINE       0     0     0
         mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

[r...@xxxxx /]#> zfs list
NAME                    USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
proxpool               39.5G  27.4G    27K  /proxpool
proxpool/apache-logs   2.40G  27.4G  2.40G  /proxpool/apache-logs
proxpool/proxy-cache2  29.5G  27.4G  29.5G  /proxpool/proxy-cache2
proxpool/proxy-logs    7.54G  27.4G  7.54G  /proxpool/proxy-logs

This config works very well for our site and has done for several years using ZFS and quite a few more with UFS before that. These two machines support ~4500 desktops give or take a few. ;)

A mirror or stripe of mirrors will give you best read performance. Also chuck in as much RAM as you can
for ARC caching.

Hope this real world case is of use to you. Feel free to ask any more questions..

Cheers,

Scott.

Francois wrote:
Hello list,

What would be the best zpool configuration for a cache/proxy server (probably based on squid) ?

In other words with which zpool configuration I could expect best reading performance ? (there'll be some writes too but much less).

Thanks.

--
Francois

Scott Lawson
Systems Architect
Information Communication Technology Services

Manukau Institute of Technology
Private Bag 94006
South Auckland Mail Centre
Manukau 2240