> backup windows using primarily iSCSI. When those
> writes occur to my RaidZ volume, all activity pauses until the writes
> are fully flushed.

The more I read about this, the worse it sounds.  The thing is, I can see where
the ZFS developers are coming from - in theory this is a more efficient use of
the disk, and with that being the slowest part of the system, there probably is
a slight benefit in computational time.

However, it completely breaks any process like this that can't afford 3-5s
delays in processing, it makes ZFS a nightmare for things like audio or video
editing (where it would otherwise be a perfect fit), and it's also horrible
from the perspective of the end user.

Does anybody know if a L2ARC would help this?  Does that work off a different
queue, or would reads still be blocked?

I still think a simple solution to this could be to split the ZFS writes into
smaller chunks.  That creates room for reads to be squeezed in (with the ratio
of reads to writes something that should be automatically balanced by the
software), but you still get the benefit of ZFS write ordering with all the
work that's gone into perfecting that.

Regardless of whether there are reads or not, your data is always going to be
written to disk in an optimized fashion, and you could have a property on the
pool that specifies how finely chopped up writes should be, allowing this to be
easily tuned.

We're considering ZFS as storage for our virtualization solution, and this
could be a big concern.  We really don't want the entire network pausing for
3-5 seconds any time there is a burst of write activity.