chris wrote:
Ok, so the choice for a MB boils down to:

- Intel desktop MB, no ECC support
This is mostly true. The exceptions are some implementations of the Socket T LGA 775 (i.e. late Pentium 4 series, and Core 2) D975X and X38 chipsets, and possibly some X48 boards as well. Intel's other desktop chipsets do not support ECC. Some motherboard examples include:

Intel DX38BT - ECC support is mentioned in the documentation and is a BIOS option Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4, GA-EX38-DS4 - ECC support is mentioned in the documentation and is listed in the website FAQ
The Sun Ultra 24 also uses the X38 chipset.

It's not clear how well ECC support has actually been implemented on the Intel and Gigabyte boards, i.e. whether it is simply unbuffered ECC memory compatible, or actually able to initialize and use the ECC capability. I mentioned the X48 chipset above because discussions surrounding it say it is just a higher binned X38 chip.

On Linux, the EDAC project maintains software to manage the motherboard's ECC capability. A list of memory controllers currently supported by Linux EDAC is here:
http://buttersideup.com/edacwiki/Main_Page

A prior discussion thread in 'fm' titled 'X38/975x ECC memory support' is here:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=52440&tstart=60

Thread links:
http://www.madore.org/~david/linux/#ECC_for_82x
http://developmentonsolaris.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/intel-82975x-mch-and-logging-of-ecc-events-on-solaris/

Note that the 'ecccheck.pl' script depends on the 'pcitweak' utility which is no longer present in OpenSolaris 2009.06 and Ubuntu 8.10 because of Xorg changes. One Linux user needing the utility copied it from another distro. The version of pcitweak included with previous versions of OpenSolaris might work on 2009.06.
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=105975&tstart=90

Finally, on unbuffered ECC memory prices and speeds...they are a bit behind in price and speed vs. regular unbuffered RAM, but both are still reasonable. Keep When comparing prices, remember that ECC RAM uses 9 chips where non-ECC uses 8, so expect at least a 12.5% price increase. Consider:

DDR2: $64 for Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, Unbuffered DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT25672AA800

DDR3: $108 for Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Server Memory Model CT3KIT25672BA1339 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148259

-hk

- Intel server MB, ECC support, expensive (requires a Xeon for speedstep
support). It is a shame to waste top kit doing nothing 24/7.
- AMD K8: ECC support(right?), no Cool'n'quiet support (but maybe still cool
enough with the right CPU?)
- AMD K10: should have the best all of both worlds: ECC support, Cool'n'quiet,
cheap-ish and lowish-power CPU like Athlon II 250

Is my understanding correct? Like many I want reliable, cheap, low power, ECC
supporting MB. Integrated video and low power chipset would be best. The sata
ports will have to come from an additional controller it seems, but that's life.

Intel gear is best supported, but they shoot themselves (or is that that us?)
in the foot with their ECC-on-server MB policy.

AMD K10 seems the most tempting as it has it all. I wonder about solaris support though. For example, is an AM3 MB OK with solaris?
I'd like this hopefully to work right away with opensolaris 2009.06, without
fiddling with drivers, I dont have much time or skills.

What AM3 MB do you guys know that is trouble free with solaris?
If none, maybe top quality ram (suggestions?) would allow me to forego ECC and
use a well supported low power intel board (suggestions?) instead? and a E5200?

Thanks for your insight.