On Jul 14, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Jorgen Lundman wrote:

Hello list,

Before we started changing to ZFS bootfs, we used DiskSuite mirrored ufs boot.

Very often, if we needed to grow a cluster by another machine or two, we would simply clone a running live server. Generally the procedure for this would be;

1 detach the "2nd" HDD, metaclear, and delete metadb on 2nd disk.
2 mount the 2nd HDD under /mnt, and change system/vfstab to be a single boot HDD, and no longer "mirrored", as well as host name, and IP addresses.
3 bootadm update-archive -R /mnt
4 unmount, cfgadm unconfigure, and pull out the HDD.

That is because you had only one other choice: filesystem level copy.
With ZFS I believe you will find that snapshots will allow you to have
better control over this. The send/receive process is very, very similar
to a mirror resilver, so you are only carrying your previous process
forward into a brave new world. You'll find that send/receive is much
more flexible than broken mirrors can be.
 -- richard