Hi James
Many thanks for finding & posting that link.

I'm sure many people on this forum will
be interested in trying out Brad Fitzpatrick's
perl script 'diskchecker.pl'.

It will be interesting to hear their results.

I've not yet had time to work out how Brad's
script works.  If would be good if others
here can take a critical look at it, and
feedback their comments to the forum.

I'm disappointed that I've not had a reply
from someone at Sun to explain how they
test their hard drives.

We've had a few people here quick to claim that most
hard drives fail to sync/flush correctly,
but AFAIK no one is saying how they know this.
Have they actually tested, in which case
how have they tested. Or do they just know
because of bad experiences having lost lots of data.

Best Regards
Nigel Smith