Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
Something to be aware of is that not all SSDs are the same. In fact, some "faster" SSDs may use a RAM write cache (they all do) and then ignore a cache sync request while not including hardware/firmware support to ensure that the data is persisted if there is power loss. Perhaps your "fast" CF device does that. If so, that would be really bad for zfs if your server was to spontaneously reboot or lose power. This is why you really want a true enterprise-capable SSD device for your slog.

Naturally, we just wanted to try the various technologies to see how they compared. Store-bought CF card took 26s, store-bought SSD 48s. We have not found a PCI NVRam card yet.

When talking to our Sun vendor, they have no solutions, which is annoying.

X25-E would be good, but some pools have no spares, and since you can't remove vdevs, we'd have to move all customers off the x4500 before we can use it.

CF card need reboot to see the cards, but 6 servers are x4500, not x4540, so not really a global solution.

PCI NVRam cards need a reboot, but should work in both x4500 and x4540 without zpool rebuilding. But can't actually find any with Solaris drivers.

Peculiar.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lund...@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)