Without spare drive bays I don't think you're going to find one solution that
works for x4500 and x4540 servers.  However, are these servers physically close
together?  Have you considered running the slog devices externally?

One possible choice may be to run something like the Supermicro SC216 chassis
(2U with 24x 2.5" drive bays):
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/216/SC216E2-R900U.cfm

Buy the chassis with redundant power (SC216E2-R900UB), and the JBOD power
module (CSE-PTJBOD-CB1) to convert it to a dumb JBOD unit.  The standard
backplane has six SAS connectors, each of which connects to four drives.  You
might struggle if you need to connect more than six servers, although it may be
possible to run it in a rather non standard configuration, removing the
backplane and powering and connecting drives individually.

However, for up to six servers, you can just fit Adaptec raid cards with
external ports to each (PCI-e or PCI-x as needed), and use external cables to
connect those to the SSD drives in the external chassis.

If you felt like splashing out on the raid cards, that would let you run the
ZIL on up to four Intel X25-E drives per server, backed up by 512MB of battery
backed cache.

I think that would have a dramatic effect on NFS speed to say the least :-)