Thanks, Trevor. I understand the RFE/CR distinction. What I don't understand is how this is not a bug that should be fixed in all solaris versions.

The related ID 6612830 says it was fixed in Sol 10 U6, which was a while ago. I am using OpenSolaris, so I would really appreciate confirmation that it has been fixed in OpenSolaris as well. I can't tell by the info on the bugs DB - it seems like it hasn't been fixed in OpenSolaris. If it has, then the status should reflect it as Fixed/Closed in the bug database...

--
Dave

Trevor Pretty wrote:
Dave

Yep that's an RFE. (Request For Enchantment) that's how things are reported to engineers to fix things inside Sun. If it's an honest to goodness CR = bug (However it normally need a real support paying customer to have a problem to go from RFE to CR) the "responsible engineer" evaluates it, and eventually gets it fixed, or not. When I worked at Sun I logged a lot of RFEs, only a few where accepted as bugs and fixed.

Click on the "new Search" link and look at the type and state menus. It gives you an idea of the states a RFE and CR goes through. It's probably documented somewhere, but I can't find it. Part of the joy of Sun putting out in public something most other vendors would not dream of doing.

Oh and it doesn't help both RFEs and CR are labelled "bug" at http://bugs.opensolaris.org/

So. Looking at your RFE.

It tells you which version on Nevada it was reported against (translating this into an Opensolaris version is easy - NOT!)

Look at "*Related Bugs* 6612830 <http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;jsessionid=e49afb42be7df0f5f17ec9c2d711?bug_id=6612830> "

This will tell you the

"*Responsible Engineer* Richard Morris"

and when it was fixed

"*Release Fixed* , solaris_10u6(s10u6_01) (*Bug ID:*2160894 <http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=2160894>) "

Although as nothing in life is guaranteed it looks like another bug 2160894 has been identified and that's not yet on bugs.opensolaris.org

Hope that helps.

Trevor

Dave wrote:
Just to make sure we're looking at the same thing:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6761786

This is not an issue of auto snapshots. If I have a ZFS server that exports 300 zvols via iSCSI and I have daily snapshots retained for 14 days, that is a total of 4200 snapshots. According to the link/bug report above it will take roughly 5.5 hours to import my pool (even when the pool is operating perfectly fine and is not degraded or faulted).

This is obviously unacceptable to anyone in an HA environment. Hopefully someone close to the issue can clarify.

--
Dave

Blake wrote:
I think the value of auto-snapshotting zvols is debatable.  At least,
there are not many folks who need to do this.

What I'd rather see is a default property of 'auto-snapshot=off' for zvols.

Blake