I'm new to ZFS and a scenario recently came up that I couldn't figure out.  We
are used to using Veritas Volume Mgr so that may affect our thinking to this
approach.

Here it is.

1.        ServerA was originally built let's say in January '09 with the
Solaris 10 build from 10/08 with zfs as its default filesystem and was setup to
mirror.  So zpool status might show something like this:

pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
config:

NAME   STATE                                    READ     WRITE   CKSUM
rpool                     ONLINE                0              0              0
 mirror                  ONLINE                0              0              0
   c1t0d0s0           ONLINE                0              0              0
   c1t1d0s0           ONLINE                0              0              0

errors: No known data errors

2.       Now lets say someone came in and thought that this box was no longer
needed, and reinstalled with the Solaris 10 build from 05/09 with zfs but
didn't mirror it but the root pool is also called rpool.  Now looking like this:

pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
config:

NAME   STATE                                    READ     WRITE   CKSUM
rpool                     ONLINE                0              0              0
   c1t0d0s0           ONLINE                0              0              0

errors: No known data errors

3.       Now the part I can't figure out.  It was discovered that there is data
you need from the system before it was rebuilt.  How do you get the data off
c1t1d0s0 keeping all your current build, yet pulling off the old data you need?

I was thinking it might be as simple as doing a zfs import but how do you do
that when your root filesystem is already called rpool?

---
Jon Whitehouse
Systems Engineer - IT, Server Support
MS 5221