Joerg Moellenkamp wrote:
Hi,

Well ... i think Darren should implement this as a part of zfs-crypto. Secure
Delete on SSD looks like quite challenge, when wear leveling and bad block
relocation kicks in ;)

No I won't be doing that as part of the zfs-crypto project. As I said some jurisdictions are happy that if the data is encrypted then overwrite of the blocks isn't required. For those that aren't use dd(1M) or format(1M) may be sufficient - if that isn't then nothing short of physical destruction is likely good enough.

If we choose to add block erasure on delete to ZFS then it is a completely separate and complementary feature to encryption.

--
Darren J Moffat