> Jack,
>
> We'd like to get a crash dump from this system to
> determine the root
> cause of the system hang. You can get a crash dump
> from a live system
> like this:
>
> # savecore -L
> dumping to /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump, offset 65536,
> content: kernel
>   0:18 100% done
> 0% done: 49953 pages dumped, dump succeeded
> savecore: System dump time: Wed Dec 16 10:37:51 2009
>
> savecore: Saving compressed system crash dump in
> /var/crash/v120-brm-08/vmdump.0
> savecore: Decompress the crash dump with
> 'savecore -vf /var/crash/v120-brm-08/vmdump.0'
>
> It won't impact the running system.
>
> Then, upload the crash dump file by following these
> instructions:
>
> http://wikis.sun.com/display/supportfiles/Sun+Support+
> Files+-+Help+and+Users+Guide
>
> Let us know when you get it uploaded.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cindy
>

> On 12/15/09 00:25, Jack Kielsmeier wrote:

> where
> >> I can ping my
> >> not been able to
> >> little blinking

> >> week. If I don't
> >> will.
> >>
> >> Don't give up! Let's wait a bit longer and if it
> >> doesn't work we'll
> >> see what can be done.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Victor

> >> ss
> >
> > Ah, thanks. As long as there is stuff to try, I
> won't give up. I miss being able to use my server,
> but I'll live :)
> >
> > I should note, that I can live with losing the data
> that I had on my pool. While I would prefer
> recovering it, I can stand to lose it.
> ss

I'd be glad to do this, but I have a question.

If the dump needs to happen while the system is hanging, how can I run the
dump? :) I cannot ssh in, and my console is completely unresponsive.

Would running the dump help at all when my system is not hung? If so I can hard
reboot the server and run said command.

I could also run the dump when I first start the zpool import. My system does
not hang until stuff is being written to the pool. It takes several hours for
this to happen (last time it was something like 14 hours of reading, and then
mass writes started to happen when looking at iostat, and the freeze always
happens exactly when writes to the disk get very busy). When iostat is
refreshing every 5 seconds, I only get one output that shows writes before it
freezes.

Thanks