On 19-Dec-09, at 2:01 PM, Colin Raven wrote:

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 19:08, Toby Thain <t...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On 19-Dec-09, at 11:34 AM, Colin Raven wrote

Then again (not sure how gurus feel on this point) but I have this probably naive and foolish belief that snapshots (mostly) oughtta reside on a separate physical box/disk_array...

That is not possible, except in the case of a mirror, where one side is recoverable separately. I was referring to zipping up a snapshot and getting it outta Dodge onto another physical box, or separate array.

or zfs send

You seem to be confusing "snapshots" with "backup".

No, I wasn't confusing them at all. Backups are backups. Snapshots however, do have some limited value as backups. They're no substitute, but augment a planned backup schedule rather nicely in many situations.

--T