On Jan 9, 2010, at 9:45 AM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> If ZFS removed the drive from the pool, why does the system keep
> complaining about it?

It's not failing in the sense that it's returning I/O errors, but it's flaky,
so it's attaching and detaching.  Most likely it decided to attach again and
then you got transport errors.

> Is fault management stuff still poking at it?

No.

> Is the pool/mirror/spare still supposed to show up as degraded after the
> hot spare is deployed?

Yes.

> There are 18.9K checksum errors on the disk that failed, but there are also
> 18.9K read errors on the hot spare?

This is a bug recently fixed in OpenSolaris.

> The last scrub status shows that scrub completing successfully. What
> happened to the resilver status?

If there was a scrub it will show as the last thing completed.

> How can I tell if the resilver was
> successful?

If the scrub was successful.

> Did the resilver start and complete while the scrub was still
> running and its status output was lost?

No, only one can be active at any time.

> Is there any way to see the status
> of past scrubs/resilvers, or is only the most recent one available?

Only the most recent one.

> None of that results in a fault diagnosys?

When the device is in the process of going away, no.  From the OS perspective
this disk was physically removed from the system.

> Mostly I'd like to verify my hot spare is working correctly. Given the
> spare status is "degraded", the read errors on the spare device, and the
> lack of successful resilver status output, it seems like the spare might
> not have been added successfully.

No, it's fine.  DEGRADED just means the pool is not operating at the ideal
state.  By definition a hot spare is always DEGRADED.  As long as the spare
itself is ONLINE it's fine.

Hope that helps,

- Eric

--