Though the ARC case, PSARC/2007/618 is "unpublished," I gather from
googling and the source that L2ARC devices are considered auxiliary,
in the same category as spares. If so, then it is perfectly reasonable to
expect that it gets picked up regardless of the GUID. This also implies
that it is shareable between pools until assigned. Brief testing confirms
this behaviour.  I learn something new every day :-)

So, I suspect Lutz sees a race when both pools are imported onto one
node.  This still makes me nervous though...
 -- richard