On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 03:20:20PM -0800, Richard Elling wrote:
> Though the ARC case, PSARC/2007/618 is "unpublished," I gather from
> googling and the source that L2ARC devices are considered auxiliary,
> in the same category as spares. If so, then it is perfectly reasonable to
> expect that it gets picked up regardless of the GUID. This also implies
> that it is shareable between pools until assigned. Brief testing confirms
> this behaviour.  I learn something new every day :-)
>
> So, I suspect Lutz sees a race when both pools are imported onto one
> node.  This still makes me nervous though...

Yes. What if device reconfiguration renumbers my controllers, will
l2arc suddenly start trashing a data disk?  The same problem used to
be a risk for swap,  but less so now that we swap to named zvol.

There's work afoot to make l2arc persistent across reboot, which
implies some organised storage structure on the device.  Fixing this
shouldn't wait for that.

--
Dan.