On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Now, I'm sure not ALL drives offered at Newegg could qualify; but the
question is, how much do I give up by buying an enterprise-grade drive
from a major manufacturer, compared to the Sun-certified drive?

If you have a Sun service contract, you give up quite a lot. If a Sun drive fails every other day, then Sun will replace that Sun drive every other day, even if the system warranty has expired. But if it is a non-Sun drive, then you have to deal with a disinterested drive manufacturer, which could take weeks or months.

My experiences thus far is that if you pay for a Sun service contract, then you should definitely pay extra for Sun branded parts.

Hopefully Oracle will do better than Sun at explaining the benefits and services provided by a service contract.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn