I agree wholeheartedly....you're paying to make the problem "go away" in an
expedient manner. That said, I see how much we spend on NetApp storage at
work and it makes me shudder ;)

I think someone was wondering if the large storage vendors have their own
microcode on drives? I can tell you that NetApp do...and that's one way they
"lock you in" (if the drive doesn't report NetApp firmware, the filer will
"reject" the drive) and also how they do tricks like
soft-failure/re-validation, 520-byte sectors, etc.

-marc