>  > Well, ok, and in my limited knowhow... zfs set checksum=sha256 only
>  > covers user scribbled data [POSIX file metadata, file contents, directory
>  > structure, ZVOL blocks] and not necessarily any zfs filesystem internals.
>
>  metadata is fletcher4 except for the uberblocks which are self-checksummed
>  using sha256.

Surely you're referring to 'metadata' as 'zfs filesystem internals',
not 'user scribbled data', particularly here, stat(2) info [commonly
called metadata]?

>  SHA256 is approximately 1/2 the speed of fletcher4, so the trade-off
>  does not consider only the checksum algorithm.  For older machines,
>  the speed difference could be worse.

Hah! Considering I get only 20MiB/s read and about half that on write, I'm
used to the pain :) Of course different algos come with a price, ref: openssl
speed.

>  > Yeah, I suppose a pipe to ssh has enough bits to catch things these days.
>  > Netcat might be different, ergo, at least f4 as already implemented.
>
>  I'm interested in anecdotal evidence which suggests there is a
>  problem as it is currently designed. Thus far, I believe the reports
>  of send stream corruption on this forum have been attributed to
>  other things.

An anti-anecdote of sorts...
With all the petabytes I've stuffed over unchecked ethernet/wan I don't
think I've ever run into a confirmed case of data error there. Whether
netcat/rsh/ssh/ftp/etc, it was always bad hardware. Especially the crap
$megabuck SAN I ended up proving bad by wrapping backups with aes, sha
and pki. Before then, I simply wasn't watching anything closely. Though it never
seemed that the layer0 [wire] through layer3 [ip] checksums would be all that
strong compared to 128+ bits of real hash.

I can't seem to find a bit eqivalency for fletcher4. Though I don't think
that's quite the way I should be thinking f4 works.

Oh well, this thread's baked. Thanks for zfs, it totally made my world better.