On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:33:56PM -0800, Erik Trimble wrote:
> To reply to myself, the best I can do is this:
>
>        http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=59
>
> (it uses a sil3124 controller, so it /might/ work with OpenSolaris )

Nice.  I'd certainly like to know if you try it and have success.
Note that the pci-x version also has a pci-e to pci-x bridge (Tsi384)
that would need to work.  I expect ppb's are handled generically by
the framework and spec.

I didn't find anything to indicate either way whether there was
bootable bios on board; again this might be a potential hurdle with
the ppb if you intend to boot from it.

For me, I'd be looking at the pci-e version, and as you note there are
other options for pure ssd.  This seems the most modular (choosing my
own brand/type/mix of ssd and hdd, for example).

--
Dan.