On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:06, Brian E. Imhoff <beimh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am in the proof-of-concept phase of building a large ZFS/Solaris based SAN
> box, and am experiencing absolutely poor / unusable performance.
>
> I then, Create a zpool, using raidz2, using all 24 drives, 1 as a hotspare:
> zpool create tank raidz2 c1t0d0 c1t1d0 [....] c1t22d0 spare c1t23d00
Create several smaller raidz2 vdevs, and consider adding a log device
and/or cache devices.  A single raidz2 vdev has about as many IOs per
second as a single disk, which could really hurt iSCSI performance.
 zpool create tank raidz2 c1t0d0 c1t1d0 ... \
  raidz2 c1t5d0 c1t6d0 ... \
  etc
You might try, say, four 5-wide stripes with a spare, a mirrored log
device, and a cache device.  More memory wouldn't hurt anything,
either.

Will