On Wed, February 10, 2010 16:28, Will Murnane wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:06, Brian E. Imhoff <beimh...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I am in the proof-of-concept phase of building a large ZFS/Solaris based
>> SAN box, and am experiencing absolutely poor / unusable performance.
>>
>> I then, Create a zpool, using raidz2, using all 24 drives, 1 as a
>> hotspare:
>> zpool create tank raidz2 c1t0d0 c1t1d0 [....] c1t22d0 spare c1t23d00
> Create several smaller raidz2 vdevs, and consider adding a log device
> and/or cache devices.  A single raidz2 vdev has about as many IOs per
> second as a single disk, which could really hurt iSCSI performance.
>  zpool create tank raidz2 c1t0d0 c1t1d0 ... \
>   raidz2 c1t5d0 c1t6d0 ... \
>   etc
> You might try, say, four 5-wide stripes with a spare, a mirrored log
> device, and a cache device.  More memory wouldn't hurt anything,
> either.

That's useful general advice for increasing I/O I think, but he clearly
has something other than a "general" problem.  Did you read the numbers he
gave on his iSCSI performance?  That can't be explained just by
overly-large RAIDZ groups I don't think.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info