On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Tony MacDoodle wrote:

I have a 2-disk/2-way mirror and was wondering if I can remove 1/2 the mirror and plunk it in another system?

Intact?  Or as a new disk in the other system?

If you want to break the mirror, and create a new pool on the disk, you can just do 'zpool detach'. This will remove the disk from the pool and put it in a state where you can create a brand new pool.

If you want to use the mirror, keeping it intact, you can upgrade to build 132 and use 'zpool split'.

If you don't want to upgrade, then you can use this procedure, given the fact that you have only one pair of mirrors:

(assuming your pool is made of disk0 and disk1, on hostname box0

box0# zpool offline pool disk1
box0# zpool detach pool disk1

(remove disk1 from box0 and plug into box1)

box1# zpool import -f pool
box1# zpool detach pool disk0

It's important that you offline disk1 first before detaching it, or you will not be able to import it into box1. And the -f is necessary on import because the pool will complain about having been imported on another system.

Note that this procedure works only for very simple configs. If you have a config with a stripe of mirror sets, or logs, spares, or cache devices, this will not work. Instead, you'll have to upgrade & use zpool split.

Regards,
markm