On 02/26/10 17:38, Paul B. Henson wrote:
As I wrote in that new sub-thread, I see no option that isn't surprising
in some way.  My preference would be for what I labeled as option (b).

And I think you absolutely should be able to configure your fileserver to
implement your preference. Why shouldn't I be able to configure my
fileserver to implement mine :)?

acl-chmod interactions have been mishandled so badly in the past that i think a bit of experimentation with differing policies is in order.

Based on the amount of wailing I see around acls, I think that, based on personal experience with both systems, AFS had it more or less right and POSIX got it more or less wrong -- once you step into the world of acls, the file mode should be mostly ignored, and an accidental chmod should *not* destroy carefully crafted acls.

                                        - Bill