On Mar 2, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Thomas W wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new to ZFS so this may be (or certainly is) a kind of newbie question.
>
> I started with a small server I built from parts I had left over.
> I only had 2 500GB drives and wanted to go for space. So i just created a
> zpool without any option. That now looks like this.
>
>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>        swamp       ONLINE       0     0     0
>          c1d0      ONLINE       0     0     0
>          c2d0      ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> So far so good. But like always the provisional solution became a permanent
> solution. Now I have an extra 1TB disk that I can add to the system. And I
> want to go for file security.
>
> How can I get the best out of this setup. Is there a way of mirroring the
> data automatically between those three drives?
>
> Any help is appreciated but please don't tell me I have to delete anything ;)

If the number of available blocks on the 1TB disk is 2x the 500 GB disks, then
you
could make 2 partitions (slices) on the 1TB disk and mirror to each of the other
disks.  If the sizes are close but slightly smaller on the sliced 1TB drive,
then
you might need to be on a later build to attach the mirror.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
http://nexenta-atlanta.eventbrite.com (March 16-18, 2010)