Thanks. That's what I expected the case to be. Any reasons this shouldn't work
for strictly backup purposes? Obviously, one disk down kills the pool, but as I
only ever need to care if I'm restoring, that doesn't seem to be such a big
deal. It will be a secondary backup destination for local machines like laptops
that don't have redundant storage. The primary backups will still be hosted on
the main server with 2 raidz2 arrays.

The only downside I can see to this idea is that I was expecting it to be used
as an offsite backup as well, so in a real disaster I might have only a single
non-redundant copy of the data. That alone might be enough reason for me not to
do it. After getting used to redundancy, it's hard to go back to not having it.
:)