On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 15:30, Tim Cook <t...@cook.ms> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Ethan <notet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Speaking of which, what happened to the IPS mirror?  Using a separate
>>> utility just for that repository is a bit ridiculous.
>>> --Tim
>>>

>> Thanks. Actually I already had smartmontools built from source previously,
>> but I was never able to get it to do much of anything. It outputs
>>
>> #######################################################################
>> ATA command routine ata_command_interface() NOT IMPLEMENTED under Solaris.
>> Please contact smartmontools-supp...@lists.sourceforge.net if
>> you want to help in porting smartmontools to Solaris.
>> #######################################################################
>>
>> Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)
>>
>> I'm not sure if that last line means I'm giving it the wrong thing - in
>> fact I'm not really sure what to give it. I tried
>> # smartctl -d ata /dev/dsk/c9t1d0p0
>> and
>> # smartctl -d ata /devices/p...@0,0/pci1043,8...@1f,2/d...@1,0
>> but I am not sure if either of those correctly specifies the disk as
>> smartctl wants it. or if the first message is the import one, and I just
>> can't use smartctl as it hasn't implemented what I need.
>>
>> -Ethan
>>

> What kind of drive is it?  Is it ATA or SATA?
>
> http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=120402
>
> --Tim

(whoops, meant to reply to the list before.)

It is sata, but ata seems to be the closest option available.

# ./smartctl /devices/p...@0,0/pci1043,8...@1f,2/d...@1,0
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i386-pc-solaris2.11] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

/devices/p...@0,0/pci1043,8...@1f,2/d...@1,0: Unable to detect device type
Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option.

=======> VALID ARGUMENTS ARE: ata, scsi, sat[,N][+TYPE], usbcypress[,X],
usbjmicron[,x][,N], usbsunplus, marvell, areca,N, 3ware,N, hpt,L/M/N,
cciss,N, test <=======

Is that the right device to be giving it? It seems to behave the same when I
try /dev/dsk/c9t1d0s0 or /dev/dsk/c9t1d0s2 or /dev/dsk/c9t1d0p0.
The controller is: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II Controller
and I see marvell a a type in that list, a connection I hadn't made before.
but when I do -d marvell, it says:
# ./smartctl -d marvell /devices/p...@0,0/pci1043,8...@1f,2/d...@1,0
Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

(again, same when I try various /dev/dsk/c9t1d0* devices)

Reading http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=384927 one person
says "SATA drives are ATA and unsupported in smartmontools for Solaris."
Any ideas?

-Ethan