On 22.03.2010 13:35, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
Does cron happen to know how many other scrubs are running, bogging
down
your IO system? If the scrub scheduling was integrated into zfs itself,

It doesn't need to.

Crontab entry:  /root/bin/scruball.sh

/root/bin/scruball.sh:
#!/usr/bin/bash
for filesystem in filesystem1 filesystem2 filesystem3 ; do
   zfs scrub $filesystem
done

If you were talking about something else, for example, multiple machines all
scrubbing a SAN at the same time, then ZFS can't solve that any better than
cron, because it would require inter-machine communication to coordinate.  I
contend a shell script could actually handle that better than a built-in zfs
property anyway.

IIRC it's "zpool scrub", and last time I checked, the zpool command exited (with status 0) as soon as it had started the scrub. Your command would start _ALL_ scrubs in paralell as a result.

//Svein

--

Sending mail from a temporary set up workstation, as my primary W500 is off for service. PGP not installed.