> It seems like the zpool export will ques the drives and mark the pool
> as exported. This would be good if we wanted to move the pool at that
> time but we are thinking of a disaster recovery scenario. It would be
> nice to export just the config to where if our controller dies, we can
> use the zpool import on another box to get back up and running.

Correct, "zpool export" will offline your disks so you can remove them and
bring them somewhere else.

I don't think you need to do anything in preparation for possible server
failure.  Am I wrong about this?  I believe once your first server is down,
you just move your disks to another system, and then "zpool import."  I
don't believe the export is necessary in order to do an import.  You would
only export if you wanted to disconnect while the system is still powered
on.

You just "export" to tell the running OS "I'm about to remove those disks,
so don't freak out."  But if there is no running OS, you don't worry about
it.

Again, I'm only 98% sure of the above.  So it might be wise to test on a
sandbox system.

One thing that is worth mention:  If you have an HBA such as 3ware, or Perc,
or whatever ... it might be impossible to move the disks to a different HBA,
such as Perc or 3ware (swapped one for the other).  If your original system
is using Perc 6/i, only move them to another system with Perc 6/i (and if
possible, ensure the controller is using the same rev of firmware.)

If you're using a simple unintelligent non-raid sas or sata controller, you
should be good.