F. Wessels wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't get very much further.

Yes, ZFS loves raw devices. When I had two devices I wouldn't be in this mess.
I would simply install opensolaris on the first disk and add the second ssd to
the
data pool with a zpool add mpool cache cxtydz Notice that no slices or
partitions
were used.
But I don't have space for two devices. So I have to deal with slices and
partitions.
I did another clean install in 12Gb partition leaving 18Gb free.
I tried parted to resize the partition, but it said that resizing (solaris2)
partitions
wasn't implemented.
I tried fdisk but no luck either.
I tried the send and receive, create new partition and slices, restore rpool in
slice0, do installgrub but it wouldn't boot anymore.

Can anybody give a summary of commands/steps howto accomplish a bootable
rpool and l2arc on a ssd. Preferably for the x86 platform.

Look up zvols, as this is what you want to use, NOT partitions (for the many reasons you've encountered).

In essence, do a normal install, using the ENTIRE disk for your rpool.

Then create a zvol in the rpool:

# zfs create -V 8GB rpool/zvolname

Add this zvol as the cache device (L2arc) for your other pool

# zpool create tank mirror c1t0d0 c1t1d0s0 cache rpool/zvolname

the default block size for zvols is 8k, which I'd be interested in having someone test out other sizes, to see which would be best for an L2ARC device.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support