Darren J Moffat wrote:
On 30/03/2010 10:05, Erik Trimble wrote:
F. Wessels wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't get very much further.

Yes, ZFS loves raw devices. When I had two devices I wouldn't be in
this mess.
I would simply install opensolaris on the first disk and add the
second ssd to the
data pool with a zpool add mpool cache cxtydz Notice that no slices or
partitions
were used.
But I don't have space for two devices. So I have to deal with slices
and partitions.
I did another clean install in 12Gb partition leaving 18Gb free.
I tried parted to resize the partition, but it said that resizing
(solaris2) partitions
wasn't implemented.
I tried fdisk but no luck either.
I tried the send and receive, create new partition and slices, restore
rpool in
slice0, do installgrub but it wouldn't boot anymore.

Can anybody give a summary of commands/steps howto accomplish a bootable
rpool and l2arc on a ssd. Preferably for the x86 platform.

Look up zvols, as this is what you want to use, NOT partitions (for the
many reasons you've encountered).

In this case partitions is the only way this will work.

In essence, do a normal install, using the ENTIRE disk for your rpool.

Then create a zvol in the rpool:

# zfs create -V 8GB rpool/zvolname

Add this zvol as the cache device (L2arc) for your other pool

# zpool create tank mirror c1t0d0 c1t1d0s0 cache rpool/zvolname

That won't work L2ARC devices can not be a ZVOL of another pool, they can't be a file either. An L2ARC device must be a physical device.

I could have sworn I did this with a zvol awhile ago. Maybe that was for something else...

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support