On Mar 31, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> Would your users be concerned if there was a possibility that
>> after extracting a 50 MB tarball that files are incomplete, whole
>> subdirectories are missing, or file permissions are incorrect?
>
> Correction:  "Would your users be concerned if there was a possibility that
> after extracting a 50MB tarball *and having a server crash* then files could
> be corrupted as described above."
>
> If you disable the ZIL, the filesystem still stays correct in RAM, and the
> only way you lose any data such as you've described, is to have an
> ungraceful power down or reboot.
>
> The advice I would give is:  Do zfs autosnapshots frequently (say ... every
> 5 minutes, keeping the most recent 2 hours of snaps) and then run with no
> ZIL.  If you have an ungraceful shutdown or reboot, rollback to the latest
> snapshot ... and rollback once more for good measure.  As long as you can
> afford to risk 5-10 minutes of the most recent work after a crash, then you
> can get a 10x performance boost most of the time, and no risk of the
> aforementioned data corruption.

This approach does not solve the problem.  When you do a snapshot,
the txg is committed.  If you wish to reduce the exposure to loss of
sync data and run with ZIL disabled, then you can change the txg commit
interval -- however changing the txg commit interval will not eliminate the
possibility of data loss.

 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com