>If you disable the ZIL, the filesystem still stays correct in RAM, and the
>only way you lose any data such as you've described, is to have an
>ungraceful power down or reboot.

>The advice I would give is:  Do zfs autosnapshots frequently (say ... every
>5 minutes, keeping the most recent 2 hours of snaps) and then run with no
>ZIL.  If you have an ungraceful shutdown or reboot, rollback to the latest
>snapshot ... and rollback once more for good measure.  As long as you can
>afford to risk 5-10 minutes of the most recent work after a crash, then you
>can get a 10x performance boost most of the time, and no risk of the
>aforementioned data corruption.

Why do you need the rollback? The current filesystems have correct and
consistent data; not different from the last two snapshots.
(Snapshots can happen in the middle of untarring)

The difference between running with or without ZIL is whether the
client has lost data when the server reboots; not different from using
Linux as an NFS server.

Casper