On 8 apr 2010, at 23.21, Miles Nordin wrote:

>    rs> use IPSEC to make IP address spoofing harder.
>
> IPsec with channel binding is win, but not until SA's are offloaded to
> the NIC and all NIC's can do IPsec AES at line rate.  Until this
> happens you need to accept there will be some protocols used on SAN
> that are not on ``the Internet'' and for which your axiomatic security
> declarations don't apply, where the relevant features are things like
> doing the DNS lookup in the proper .rhosts manner and doing uRPF,
> minimum, and more optimistically stop adding new protocols without
> IPv6 support, and start adding support for multiple IP stacks / VRF's.
> If saying ``the only way to do any given thing is twicecrypted
> kerberized ipsec within dnssec namespaces'' is blocking doing these
> immediate plaintext things that allow a host to participate in both
> the internet and a SAN at once, well that's no good either.

I totally agree.

Since DNS, fqdn, and the like was mentioned, I don't think this
was intended for a SAN, not-on-the-internet, environment.

uRPF and other filters may of course harden your environment.
Let's hope everyone using the NFS features in question all use
them in a completely non-spoofable (L1..L3 and name resolver)
setup, then! ;-)

/ragge