On 5/3/2010 4:56 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Kyle McDonald
>>
>> If you're only sharing them to Linux machines, then NFS would be so
>> much
>> easier to use. You'll still want relative links though.
>>
> Only if you have infrastructure to sanitize the UID's.
>
> If you have disjoint "standalone" machines, then samba winbind works pretty
> well to map usernames to locally generated unique UID's.  In which case,
> IMHO, samba is easier than NFS.  However, if you do have some kind of
> domains LDAP, NIS, etc... then I agree 1,000% NFS is easier than samba.

True, using local passwd files on more than a handful of machines can
make adding and removing users and changing passwords a pain.

But (and I could be wrong these days) in my experience, while the Samba
server is great, the SMB client on linux can only mount the share as a
single specific user, and all accesses to files in the share are
performed as that user. Right?

That to me makes SMB a less desirable filesystem then NFS where you
can't really tell the difference between that and UFS or whatever.

  -Kyle