"One will be relative (../a/foo) and the other absolute
(/mirror/audio-Cd-Tracks/a/foo)."

Makes sense. I hadn't actually noticed this.

It is not only sharing to Linux machines but also using SFTP as well from
outside, so I need things to be pretty much multi-functional and flexible.

I don't have any Microsoft machines any more. I survive by creating a
pre-defined set of users and groups about 100 above the standard UIDs that all
machines have. This gets around needing LDAP for a small home system.

Oh, there is the old, modded original X-Box downstairs and that plays the media
on those shares as well, so NFS isn't ideal for me.

Thanks for the help.