On May 8, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Tony wrote:

> Ok, this is definitely the kind of feedback I was looking for..... I'll have
> to check out the docs on these technologies it looks like. Appreciate it.
>
> I figured I would load balance the hosts with a Cisco device, since I can get
> around the IOS ok.
>
> I want to offer a online backup service that provides high availability.

Yep, for this sort of business, a replication scheme works well.
Note that the replication is better when it is done closer to the
application. For a cloud storage company, it is relatively easy
to modify the app to perform the redundancy and keep the storage
simple.  By contrast, if you are running a legacy app that you have
no control over, you are stuck with their architecture and adding
redundancy lower in the software stack is a necessary evil.

> Check out the following concept :
> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

Syncing a box of this size could take a week or two.  Consider triple
redundancy.

> I like their basic idea, but they are in the market of $5/month unlimited. I
> want to take this to the next level. While this solution provides fault
> tolerance for drive failures, it does not seem to have a safeguard for if
> terrorists bomb one of your servers. So I figured ZFS would take care of the
> soft RAID, encryption (for compliance), dedup, and that kind of neat stuff.

Yep.

> I'm still not 100% on how we're going to give access to the storage. I had
> thought about using RSync or DFS/RDC for Win hosts. VPN for encrypted
> transfer if needed. Would avoid CIFS probably.
>
> I guess a couple minute delay in the replication is ok, if the backup
> management software is smart enough to say.... wtf.... get over it, and
> retransmit the file again without user intervention.

If you put redundancy in the infeed, then you won't have a delay like this.
 -- richard

--
ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com