On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Emily Grettel
<emilygrettelis...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided to replace my WD10EADS and WD10EARS drives as I've checked the
> SMART values and they've accrued some insanely high numbers for the
> load/unload counts (40K+ in 120 days on one!).

Running WDIDLE.EXE on the drives as soon as you install them will help
in that regard.

> I was leaning towards the Black drives but now I'm a bit worried about the
> TLER lackingness which was a mistake made my previous sysadmin.

It was possible to enable TLER with earlier revisions of the drive,
but rumors on the tubes seem to imply that the feature has been
removed.

I think that any of the REx drives would be fine. The 7200 RPM
versions are basically the Black drives, and the Green is the GP
drive, just with different TLER settings in firmware. Problems that
you're having with your current GP drives are likely to manifest with
the RE-Green.

> What do people already use on their enterprise level NAS's? Any good
> Seagates?

The Constellation ES, but it's harder to find at places like Newegg.

>From what I've read, the Hitachi and Samsung drives both support CCTL,
which is in the ATA-8 spec. There's no way to toggle it on from
OpenSolaris (yet) and it doesn't persist through reboot so it's not
really ideal.

Here's a patch to smartmontools that is supposed to enable it. It's in
the SVN version 5.40 but not the current 5.39 release:
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/projects/erc/

And a DOS-mode app that's supposed to work: http://www.hdat2.com/

-B

--